Curried Tomato & Vegetable Stew
This recipe kicks off my “Recipes” page. Unfortunately, I took a bunch of great pictures of each individual step, but they somehow got deleted so I have NO pictures of this yummy stew. 😦 Next time I make it, I’ll add in a picture.
Curried Tomato & Vegetable Stew (loosely based off of this recipe from Eating Well)
1. Mix the following in a stockpot:
- 1/2 c. red lentils
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 T curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cup water
2. Bring to a boil, then cover and lower the heat. Allow the mixture to simmer until it has thickened and gotten soft. This took about 30 minutes for me.
3. In the meantime, chop a head of cauliflower, 2 zucchini, and dice 3 cloves of garlic (or use the pre-diced kind in a jar, like I did!)
4. Add the cauliflower, zucchini, garlic, 28 oz. jar of fire-roasted tomatoes, 1 tsp cumin, 1 1/2 tsp curry powder, and 1 tsp ginger. (I love the curry flavor. If you aren’t a huge fan, add a little less.)
5. Cover and simmer until the cauliflower is softened. I gave it 20 minutes, but I could have probably gone for awhile longer. Stir occasionally.
6. Remove from heat and add 2-3 squirts lemon juice and 1 1/2 tsp sugar.
Enjoy! This can be served over rice noodles or brown rice, or eaten as is! We used a piece of roti (Indian flatbread) to soak up the rest of the broth at the end.